Matcha Chiffon Cake 抹茶シフォンケーキ
What you need:
- ¾ cup cake flour
- 1 tbsp Odayaka Matcha (6g)
- 4 eggs (yolks and whites separated)
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1½ tbsp granulated sugar
- ¼ tsp salt
- ⅓ cup neutral-flavored oil (peanut/canola/vegetable oil)
- ⅓ cup milk
- ½ tsp cream of tartar (or 1 tsp white vinegar)
- 2 tbsp warm water
*To make ½ cup powdered sugar, blend ¼ cup granulated sugar with ½ tsp cornstarch until a fine powder. Otherwise, substitute with ¼ cup granulated sugar.
8 simple steps:
- In a large bowl, sift cake flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat egg yolks and granulated sugar, while adding oil and milk, until evenly mixed.
- In small batches, add cake flour mixture to egg mixture and mix well.
- In a separate bowl, whisk egg whites until foamy, and continue whisking while adding cream of tartar and powdered sugar, until you get a stiff peak.
- Use a spatula to fold beaten egg whites into cake batter. Divide cake batter into two similar portions.
- In a small bowl, whisk matcha in warm water until a consistent and thick texture is achieved. Add matcha mixture into one portion of the cake batter, and stir evenly.
- Pour plain batter and matcha-infused batter alternately into an angel food cake pan, to create a marble pattern.
- Place the cake pan into an oven preheated to 170ºC and bake for 15 minutes. Lower heat to 150ºC and bake for another 30 minutes. Once the cake tester comes out clean, the matcha chiffon cake is ready to serve!
- You can use a smaller 6/8-inch pan, or a regular 10-inch pan. To fill a 10-inch pan, use double the amount of ingredients listed.
- To make a full-fledged matcha chiffon cake instead of marble cake, use 2 tbsp of Odayaka Matcha (12g) instead and stir matcha mixture into the entire portion of cake batter.